A friend's computer got a 'cold' sometime ago. It gave me an idea.
Torrent sharing sites are often attacked and shut down by MPAA/RIAA/etc.
To circumvent torrentsites altogether, I combined the way how they spread msn viruses with torrents. This way, you can easily share on almost any site, without anyone noticing it's a torrent file unless they got the instructions.
It works this way:
1. You make your torrent file (or use the one you want to share) and encapsulate it in a .rar/.zip/.7z. Try to make it as small as possible.
2. You pick a random image which you want to use, it must be .png or .jpg.
3. You mix the files with the command prompt (type cmd in start). Browse to the folder containing both the archive and image: copy /b *imagename.extension* + *zip//rar/7zfilename.extension* *filename.imagefileextension*
4. You throw the image which you've created on a image sharing or FTP site. Some sites block hidden data in images.
4a. Check if the file works by doing steps 5-8.
5. Someone downloads the file.
6. The downloader with the instructions (posted on a forum or included in the image) changes the image file extension to the archive extension.
7. Open it with the appropriate archive opener (IE: 7zip/winrar/etc, no winzip!)
8. Torrent on!
I discussed this in an IRC chat, and tested it with several people, it works.
You can do step 5-8 with the image below, which is an innocent Creative Commons file:
Change it to .rar.
How do you like it?
Copy me happy,
----notes from Ernesto (torrentfreak.com)----
It seems this technique has been used before, see here: Article on torrentfreak.com